Good habits and routine are essential to our emotional, psychological and spiritual health. In order to lead balanced, healthy lives, we need much more rituals. So it’s high time we figure out how we can work in regular time to help honor ourselves and reclaim our lives.
Rituals do not need to be complex or elaborate. They can easily be part of everyday life, giving us a chance to stop and center ourselves – even if only for a few minutes. One opportunity to introduce an element of ritual to our day is during our daily washing routine, which is symbolic of cleansing our energies.
Without rituals we’re likely to drift through life. Even the most ridiculous-sounding rituals can be effective. If you follow meaningful rituals such as this, you will weather the inevitable changes of life far more easily.
DETOXING BATH RITUAL
1. Light candles all around your bath. If you like, you can also light an oil burner with a few drops of your favorite aromatherapy essence.
2. Your bath should be pleasantly warm, but not too hot. Add three drops of each of your chosen aromatherapy oils mixed with a little milk and disperse them in the water. Be sure to only use
oils that can be used on the skin.
3. Mindfully undress, imagining that you are dumping all your problems with your clothes. Start to let go of the stress, strain and any negativity of the day.
4. Sprinkle some sea salt on a damp face cloth. Gently scrub your entire body with small, circular movements. Work from the extremities of your body towards your heart and imagine the purifying power of the salt loosening all the mental clutter that’s built up.
5. Relax in your bath and visualize the healing water gently drawing out all the negativity and unpleasantness of the day. Soak for at least 20 minutes.
6. As you step out of the bath, look back and see the water as containing all the anger, sorrow and frustration you may have been subconsciously holding on to. Bless it, then let it go.
7. After you have carried out this ritual, you should find that your sleep well and wake refreshed.
If you have high blood pressure or heart disease, make sure you consult your doctor before using essential oils and do not use salt if you have any irritated or broken skin.